Pages

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Hobbiton - An Unexpected Trip

In celebration of the movie The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey,  I am sharing with you lovelies the trip I made last October to middle earth. Yes, I went to middle earth! Ok, i'm a bit exaggerating.. I just went to New Zealand, which incidentally is where the entire Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogy movies were shot.

I went to Auckland to attend the wedding of one of my closest friends. We didn't really plan on visiting any of the film locations because we were just there for four days, but being a fan of the movies and the books, I just had to find out if there was a location near Auckland that we can visit. And by a struck of luck, the day before our flight back home; I discovered that the location of the "Hobbiton" scenes in the movies is just a 2 hour drive North of Downton Auckland.

So what did we do? the day of our flight back to Sydney, we went to Matamata, a town north of Auckland early in the morning to visit the film location of Hobbiton. The town is operating a "hobbiton tours" that will bring you around the movie set for 75.00 NZD. The tour was lovely and it gives you enough time to go around the set and take heaps of photos in the process.

These are just a few of them.

Welcome to Hobbiton!



If you watched the movie, you'll recognize this huge tree...


This lake was built specifically for the movie.




 View of the Hobbiton community...



 And these are the Hobbit houses












And if you remember the movie, you'll know that Bilbo and Frodo's house is on a hill with a huge tree on top. This is their house...







This part of the trip which was not planned turned out to be the highlight (and of course my friends wedding!) and the most unforgettable one.

How about you lovelies, do you have an unplanned trip that turned out to be a memorable one?

xoxo,
Coco














2 comments:

Jane said...

This is very cool. I get a bit giddy when I see actors walking through Toronto and went a bit nuts when I drove past a taping of Rookie Blue. This is just beyond that - so fun!

Unknown said...

this is AMAZING...the photos are unbelievable.
My old boss went to New Zealand a few years ago and said it was THE most beautiful place she had ever been.
Thanks for sharing.
C

Shopping Resources

Mango French Connection Limited Exclusive Deals on Designer Brands, Accessories, and Home Decor from BeyondtheRack.com. Invitation Code: HOLIDAY2012 - 234x60 DERMAdoctor Skincare LT - 090909 - 120x90 Logo 1-800-PetMeds