Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Misc: Home is where the heart is....

I was going to do my weekly outfit post but rather decided that this is more important than that. My dad's birthday was on Friday. I called him and my mom and asked them how they are doing and what their plan was. They said they will just go to dinner and stay home since the weather forecast was not good.

The following morning, I found out that a typhoon hit Metro Manila and caused flash floods. My parent's house was not affected but my lola's house (grandmother's) was submerged in water. A neighbor had to help her get on the roof where she stayed there overnight with their dog while my Lolo (grandpa) got stranded on the road. J's house also suffered the same fate. The entire Metro Manila was flooded within a matter of hours. Death toll is now up to 140 (CNN).



Some pictures around Metro Manila:




(Source: unknown; please let me know if you took these pictures for proper credit)

Sorry to start the week with such a bad news. It is in times like these that I tend to become sentimental about being away from my parents. I will have to fly thousands of miles to get to them. It was such a relief to hear their voices after none of my calls got connected and no response from my text messages until Saturday morning (we are 12 hours behind). I am just glad they are safe and doing okay.

Prayers go to the families of all who were affected.

If you'd like to help out - please visit the Philippine Red Cross website http://www.redcross.org.ph/

18 comments:

DS said...

oh my goodness! I'm glad they are safe; what a scary disaster! I will keep them in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

I'm saying prayers for your family. That must have been so hard for you grandmother to be alone and your grandfather could not get to her.

E said...

I hope your family is ok! That is such a terrible and frightening disaster.

Kelly said...

oh tay! my heart goes out to you and your family. I am happy to hear they are safe and alive. my prayers are with them. Stay strong girl. xoxo

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'm so glad your family is ok! My prayers are with all who've been affected.

Elizabeth Marie said...

Oh my...I am going to link this in my post right NOW! I spent so much time in the philippines and this breaks my heart. I am so GLAD your family is ok!

Andhari said...

When I heard about it I was pretty much in shock cuz I have several friends there in Manila, a bunch of us are talking about donating soon this week. It's crazy in south east asia these days, tsunami earthquakes and now this? Dayum. I'm happy your families are safe though.

A BIT COQUETTISH said...

prayers for your families and all others who experienced such trauma ): i wish i could do more!

bisous, xx

Couture Carrie said...

Oh darling this is awful...

Thanks for trying to bring awareness and aid to the victims.

xoxox,
CC

www.janetteria.com said...

AWFUL!

I'm saying prayers for your family, my dear!

XoXo

Midtown Girl said...

I was just thinking about you when I heard the news on CNN.

I am so glad your family is ok and my prayers go out to everyone affected.

Thank you for posting this and keeping everyone aware of it Freeteyme.

Angela said...

i saw the terrible news. i hope all your friends and family back home are okay. : ) on a lighter note, good luck with the diamond giveaway.

Kendra Alexandra said...

I hope your family is ok!
great blog :)

stoleninspiration.blogspot.com

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I've been hearing it all over the new, it is terrible. I am so glad that they are safe, thank goodness.

Lisa said...

Just saw this post now--my thoughts go out to your loved ones.

Aline said...

how scary and tragic...I am very glad to hear that your family is okay, but my heart goes out to those who lost their lives. I am so sorry about your grandmother's home.

Tiffany said...

things like these are so terribly scary, sorry to hear about your grandparents house, how awful! I'm glad that your family is okay, my thoughts go out to everyone there that has been affected.

Ashley said...

*Hugs* go out to you and your family, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your grandparents, but so glad that they are alright now!

Shopping Resources

Mango French Connection Limited Exclusive Deals on Designer Brands, Accessories, and Home Decor from BeyondtheRack.com. Invitation Code: HOLIDAY2012 - 234x60 DERMAdoctor Skincare LT - 090909 - 120x90 Logo 1-800-PetMeds